Live rock concerts were the rage in the 70’s and they are still the rage. The essence of rock music does not just lie with the lyrics; it also lies with the electric guitar and the various sounds that it can produce. There are so many kids on the block who would give up anything to play like Ritchie Blackmore, Mark Knopfler, David Gilmour, John Petrucci, Steve Vai, Kirk Hammett, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Carlos Santana, Jimmy Page etc. These men are not just some of the best guitarists of their times, they are legends.
Now if you are interested in learning how to play the guitar then the first thing you will need to buy is a guitar. Most people start with an acoustic and graduate to the electric guitar. It is quite difficult for anyone to choose the right electric guitar since there are hundreds of models and several brands out there in the market. If you are buying an electric guitar then you will need to also buy amplifiers, pickups, pick, tuner etc.
Electric guitars are available in a lot of variety, colors, and designs with the aerodynamic designs being one of the most popular. Don’t go for the first electric guitar you see. You need to look around a bit and check out the prices and models before you buy one.
In fact, one of the best ways to choose a guitar is by the brand or by the style. Here’s our take on the four important styles:
This certainly is a show stealer and has a typical style. The most famous are the red and white color combination, which was extensively used by Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits. The Stratocaster is from Fender and has a neck bolted to the guitar body. Apart from this, it has double cutaway sides, 22 frets accompanied by a tremolo system or the whammy bar and three single-coil pickups. Fender designed the first Stratocaster in the early 50’s. Some of the popular designs include:
- Fender Deluxe Stratocaster: approx $600
- Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS Electric Guitar in Rosewood: Approx $1200
- Fender Standard Stratocaster Electric Guitar in Maple: Approx $400
- Fender Standard Stratocaster Electric Guitar in Rosewood: Approx $600
- Fender Stratocaster Eric Johnson Signature model: Approx $1800
The Telecaster is another creative instrument from Fenders. It is more than just a guitar it is a complete orchestra. It is a solid body electric guitar and comprises of dual pick-ups. The first Telecaster was manufactured by Leo Fender in the 1940’s and has a single cutaway body. It doesn’t have the tremolo or whammy bar but has two different single-coil pickups. Some of the popular Telecaster models include:
- Fender American Telecaster HS guitar: $900-$1000
- Fender Standard Telecaster Electric Guitar: $400-$500
- Fender 63 Telecaster Relic Solid Body Electric: $2500-$3000
- Fender 72 Telecaster Custom Electric Guitar: $700-$800
3) Les Paul
This is a classic guitar that has been designed by Gibson. The salient feature of a Les Paul’s is its set neck construction, which means there are no joints or bolts. The body is a single cutaway and rounded. It is equipped with two humbucker pickups as well as a raised scratch-plate. If you want to play distorted sound than the Les Paul’s will provide you with a varied range of such sound. Some of the legends who use the Les Pauls include Eric Clapton, Kirk Hammett (Metallica) and Slash (ex-G’N’R). Some of the famous Les Paul models include:
- Les Paul Custom Electric Guitar: $3000-$3500
- 1959 Les Paul Standard Guitar: $5500-$6000
- Les Paul Vintage Mahogany Electric Guitar: $700-$800
- Les Paul Classic Electric Guitar: $1800-$1900
Gibson is one of the greatest brands in music and all their guitar models are classic and can’t be compared to any. Gibson was actually started in 1902 by Orville Gibson and has been responsible for giving the world some of the best acoustic and electric guitars. Some of the famous models include the arch-top Gibson L5 model, the ES-150 electric, Gibson Explorer, Flying V etc. Some of the legends who have played a Gibson or are still using it include Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin), Ace Frehley (KISS), Frank Zappa, and Toni Iommi (Black Sabbath) to name a few. Some of the popular Gibson models include:
- Gibson Flying V Electric Guitar: $500-$600
- Gibson SG 61 Classic Electric Guitar: $1500-$1600
- Gibson Faded SG Special Electric Guitar: $550-$600
- Gibson Explorer Pro Electric Guitar: $1100-$1200
These are the best brands in electric guitar. The other aspects that will help you to pick up a guitar include fretboard, the pickups, and the body. Full-bodied guitars are normally preferred as they can produce some of the best sounds that you will ever get to hear.